Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Comte: One of the most popular cheeses in France

 
 
 
 
 
(Comte)
 
 
Comte is a cheese made in and from Eastern France. It is made from the milk of red and white Montbeliard cows in the Jura region. The defining taste of comte is a nutty flavor. It is a very mild cheese. It is usually a fondu cheese. You can melt it on bread or it is good with apples or apricots. Some wines you could pair it with would be from the Jura along with Gewurztraminer. Gewurztraminer is a white wine. It is the most popular cheese in France. Each round of Comte cheese differs slightly in taste, depending on the season or technique of the cheese maker. It is usually matured in cellars for a minimum of four months but usually that period is extended.
 
 
(Comte)
 
 
 
 
(look at Eastern France)
 
The Jura is  mountain range in Eastern France which goes through Switzerland and and extends into Germany. 
 
 
I like the taste of French Comte cheese. Comte is a mild cheese, which I prefer, and I have found that it goes well with apples. When I tasted the cheese I felt it had a smokey, nutty flavor. When I was on vacation I found that it was a very good fondu cheese, mainly over bread.
 
 
 
 
Here are some links and soources for more information on the Comte cheese.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment